2017 Toyota RAV4 OverviewDec 8th, 2016
The 2017 Toyota RAV4 perfectly represents why someone may choose to buy a Toyota vehicle of any kind over the competition. It’s not quite as good off the beaten path as a Subaru Forester or a Jeep Cherokee, but still more than adequate thanks to its strong AWD system and good ground clearance; it’s also not quite as laden with premium options like the Ford Escape, but still remains within the reach of customers on a budget while providing plenty of equipment. Simply put, the Toyota RAV4 has a whole lot going right for it and just about nothing going wrong—and as if to drive the point home, it’s even the only compact SUV in the United States to come with a hybrid option.
The 2017 Toyota RAV4 is available in four trim levels: LE, XLE, Limited, and Platinum. The RAV4 is also available as a hybrid on the XLE and Limited trims. Gas-powered models are available with front-wheel drive (FWD) or all-wheel drive (AWD), while the XLE Hybrid and Limited Hybrid are available with AWD only.
2017 Toyota RAV4 Efficiency
For an SUV, the 2017 Toyota RAV4 is quite efficient at all trim levels. The non-hybrid FWD models get 23 mpg in the city, 30 mpg on the highway, and 26 mpg combined. The non-hybrid AWD models get 22 mpg city, 28 mpg highway, and 25 mpg combined. Finally, the hybrid AWD models get 34 mpg city, 30 mpg highway, and 32 mpg combined.
2017 Toyota RAV4 Interior
The 2017 Toyota RAV4 presents a warm and inviting interior space covered in high-quality plastics and soft-touch surfaces. Even the base model is made to look more upscale thanks to a two-tone contrast design that makes competing budget SUVs look bland by comparison.
On upper trims, the cloth upholstery makes way to French stitching and SofTex, a faux leather that’s almost like the real thing and helps put the occupants at ease, especially when combined with the driver’s seat lumbar support and the rear seats’ ample legroom.
No matter the trim level, the Toyota RAV4 comes loaded with useful technologies like Bluetooth connectivity, USB ports, and the Toyota Entune infotainment system to make life a little easier.
2017 Toyota RAV4 Interior Photos:
Interior available on LE:
- Features: Air conditioning with air filter, Backup camera with projected path, ECO and Sport Modes, Day/night rearview mirror, Cruise control, Tilt/telescopic urethane steering wheel with controls, Fabric-trimmed 6-way adjustable driver’s seat with seatback pocket, 4-way adjustable front passenger seat with seatback pocket, Fabric-trimmed 60/40 split reclining fold-flat second-row seat with center armrest, Power windows with driver auto-down, Power door locks with shift-linked automatic lock/unlock feature, Remote keyless entry system, Eight cup/bottle holders, Three 12V auxiliary power outlets
- Radio and Technology: Entune™ Audio, 6.1-inch touchscreen display, AM/FM CD player, MP3/WMA playback capability, Six speakers, Auxiliary audio jack, USB 2.0 port with iPod connectivity and control, Advanced voice recognition, Hands-free phone capability and music streaming via Bluetooth®, Integrated backup camera display
Interior available on XLE (adds to or replaces features on LE):
- Features: Dual-zone automatic climate control with air filter, Tilt/telescopic leather-trimmed steering wheel with controls, Fabric-trimmed 6-way adjustable driver’s seat with sport bolsters and seatback pocket, 4-way adjustable front passenger seat with sport bolsters and seatback pocket, Power windows with driver auto up/down with jam protection
- Radio and Technology: Entune Audio Plus with Connected Navigation App, Scout® GPS Link App, Siri® Eyes Free, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio with three-month complimentary trial, HD Radio™, HD traffic and weather in major metro areas, 4.2-inch TFT Multi-Information Display
Interior available on Limited (adds to or replaces features on XLE):
- Features: Frameless auto-dimming rearview mirror, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC), Leather-trimmed shift lever with silver accents, SofTex-trimmed 8-way power-adjustable driver’s seat with memory function, SofTex-covered sliding center armrest with console storage box, Heated driver and front passenger seats, SofTex-trimmed 60/40 fold-flat second-row seat with center armrest
- Radio and Technology: Entune App Suite – includes Destination Search, Facebook Places, iHeartRadio, MovieTickets.com, OpenTable®, Pandora®, and Yelp®; Real-time info including traffic, weather, fuel prices, sports, and stocks; Navigation; HD predictive traffic and Doppler weather overlay; AM/FM cache radio; Gracenote® album cover art; Entune™ Premium Audio with Integrated Navigation
Interior available on Platinum (adds to or replaces features on Limited):
- Features: Bird’s Eye View Camera, Heated steering wheel, Platinum doorsill protectors, Platinum floor mats, Ambient footwell lighting, Smart Key System, Push Button Start and remote power liftgate function
- Radio and Technology: Entune™ Premium JBL® Audio with Integrated Navigation and App Suite, seven-inch high-resolution touch-screen with split-screen display, AM/FM radio, MP3/WMA playback capability, 11 JBL® GreenEdge™ speakers including subwoofer, Auxiliary audio jack, USB 2.0 port with iPod® connectivity and control, Advanced voice recognition, Hands-free phone capability, Phone book access, Bluetooth® wireless technology
2017 Toyota RAV4 Safety
The 2017 Toyota RAV4 is chock-full of safety features designed to keep the whole family safe. There’s the usual swath of passive technologies like ABS and traction control, reactive technologies like the numerous airbags both at the front and rear, and new active technologies like lane departure alert and pre-collision braking as part of the new Toyota Safety Sense P bundle.
In government crash tests by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the 2017 Toyota RAV4 hybrid and non-hybrid models both received the highest score for overall safety. The 2017 model has yet to be tested by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), but the 2016 model received the Top Safety Pick+ award—the IIHS’s highest honor—and there’s no reason to believe the 2017 Toyota RAV4 won’t do just as well.
Standard Safety Features
- Star Safety System™— includes Enhanced Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA), and Smart Stop Technology
- Toyota Safety Sense™P (TSS-P) — Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection (PCS w/PD), Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist (LDA w/SA), Auto High Beams (AHB), and Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC)
- Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA)
- Hill Start Assist Control (HAC)
- Trailer-Sway Control (TSC)
- Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)
- Driver and front passenger Advanced Airbag System; driver knee airbag; front passenger seat-cushion airbag; driver and front passenger seat-mounted side airbags; and front- and second-row Roll-sensing Side Curtain Airbags (RSCA)
- Driver and front passenger Whiplash-Injury-Lessening (WIL) seats
- Three-point seatbelts in all seating positions, with adjustable front seatbelt anchors
- Driver and front passenger seatbelt pretensioners with force limiters
- Driver-side Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) and Automatic/Emergency Locking Retractor (ALR/ELR) on all passenger belts
- Driver and front passenger seatbelt warning system
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) includes lower anchors and tether anchors on outboard second-row seats
- Child-protector rear door locks
- Engine immobilizer