5 Fast Facts: 2016 Toyota Highlander
Toyota introduced its first Highlander midsize SUV 15 years ago. Now in its third year since latest redesign, the family crossover features seating for as many as eight and is cable of towing a 5,000-lb. trailer load.
Here are five fast facts about the 2016 Toyota Highlander:
1) Highlander comes in four trims: LE, LE Plus, XLE and Platinum trim that features heated/ ventilated front seats and other amenities. Front-wheel drive (FWD) is standard, but all-wheel drive (AWD) is available. LE and LE Plus come with so many standard features that there are no option packages. XLE has more amenities and Platinum adds optional advanced driver safety systems among extras.
2) Powertrain choices begin with the basic 2.7-liter 4-cylinder engine that’s teamed with a 6-speed automatic. The preferred 3.5-liter V6, partnered with a 6-speed automatic produces 270 horsepower and 248 lb.-ft. of torque. A hybrid powertrain is available with Platinum trim that pairs V6, electric motor and continuously variable transmission (eCVT) to generate a total of 280 horsepower.
3) Fuel economy for the 4-cylinder engine variant is EPA-rated 22 mpg in combined city/highway driving the V6-powered variants average 20 mpg, while the Hybrid variant averages 28 mpg.
4) Toyota’s Star Safety System with stability and traction control and brake assist is standard with a backup camera and hill-start assist control. Highlander earns a Top Safety Pick+ from the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety (IIHS) and a best five star-overall safety rating from federal regulators. Toyota’s Entune multimedia system is included with upscale versions in higher trim levels.
5) Cabin space expands to 158.7 cu. ft.—34% improved from previous- generation model. When a third row of seating is in use, there’s 13.8 cu. ft. of cargo room. Third-row passengers get a standard recline function.
Toyota introduced its first Highlander midsize SUV 15 years ago. Now in its third year since latest redesign, the family crossover features seating for as many as eight and is cable of towing a 5,000-lb. trailer load. Here are five fast facts about the 2016 Toyota Highlander…